University Experience -USI 130 & Skills for College Life COUN 140
These courses will help you make a seamless transition to your new community at WCU as you “Calibrate your compass.” You will be introduced to the academic, procedural, and social elements of your new community (one credit hour). Class sessions are interactive and focused on personal and academic growth, helping you to integrate your classroom learning with extra-curricular activities and residence hall programming as you discover your place in your new community.
- You will learn about University academic programs and policies and how to function within the University environment.
- You will find out where to go for help and information, and learn strategies for working with faculty, staff, and administrators.
- You will learn about majors offered at Western and discover which ones are most suited to your abilities and interests. If you do know what you want to major in, you will receive guidance in planning courses and experiences to prepare for your major.
- You will learn to appreciate the meaning of higher education, and how it helps you learn about yourself, and share the experience of making new academic and social friendships.
- You will also have the opportunity to participate in Service Learning, as you integrate various academic and co-curricular experiences.
- You will be encouraged to reflect on your experiences, identify new understandings and perspectives, and explore original creative expression.
- Involvement in campus activities will be encouraged and supported in order to help you build connections to the University community.
To learn more about what you will learn in your Transition course, visit here.