Who we are….
The FYE Cabinet is a body of committed faculty and staff who share the common focus of "student-centered " in intent, goals, actions, outcomes.
What is our function?….
- Foster opportunities and environments for a successful and holistic college experience.
- Facilitate collaboration and partnerships.
- Focus students towards intentionality – in the classroom and beyond.
- Model live-long learning within the spirit of collaboration.
Vision: The First Year Cabinet aspires to assist first-year sudents in their transition into college life by encouraging their involvement, both on-campus and off-campus, in activities and experiences that will enrich personal growth and development and be sustained throughout a student's academic career.
Mission: Drawing from the experience and expertise of representatives from both Academic and Student Affairs and our FYE Student Council, the First Year Cabinet supports the mission of the Office of First Year Experiences by providing a framework of university collaborations for learning inside and outside of the classroom.
Expectations: Our values and expectations for students are expressed through out Community Creed:
Strategic Priorities to Promote a Pathway for Holistic and Intentional Learning:
- I will practice personal and academic integrity.
- I will respect the dignity and rights of all persons.
- I will demonstrate concern for others and live up to my community responsibilities.
- I will engage myself in the arts, culture, and intellectual life of my University.
- I will celebrate and take pride in Western Carolina University.
- Provide an open and collaborative network of campus departments for students to call upon for assistance.
- Increase opportunities for students to network and build relationships with the campus and local community.
- Challenge students wth intentional experiences inside and outside the classroom.
- Advocate for the value of differing perspecives and life experiences in creating our campus community
- Increase impact and reach of programs and activites.
- Increasestudet understanding of the interconnectedness of all dimensions of their university experiences.
- Provide theme communities for students to self-selectbased on their interests.
- Connect courses to the themed communities for greater interactions between faculty, staff, students, and mentors.
- Provide a structure to help first year students develop these interests through co-curricular and service activites, becoming active participantsin the campus and regional community.
FYE Cabinet for Western Carolina University
- Administrative Oversight: Lowell Davis - Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Success
- Cabinet Chair - Glenda Hensley, Director for First Year Experience
- Undergraduate Student Representative - Gabby Robinson
- Janina Dehart - Assistant Director of Academic Transition & Success - FYE
- Will Shivers - Advising
- Mardy Ashe - Career Services
- Jennifer Cooper - Service Learning
- Nory Pochaska - USI Coordinator + Math Tutoring Center
- Freya Kinner - Coulter Faculty Commons
- John Habel - PSY Faculty + ALC + FYS
- Margaret Bruder - English Faculty + ALC + FYS
- Rebecca Lasher - Social Work Faculty + USI
- Amanda Fishman - Graduate Intern
- Administrative Oversight: Sam Miller - Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
- Stephanie Sue Helmers - Academic Initiatives, Residential Living
- Patrick Frasier - Admissions
- Josh Whitmore - Base Camp, Outdoor Recreation
- Brian Boyer - Case Manager Residential Living
- James Felton -Intercultural Affairs
- Tacquice Wiggan - Leadership + LEAD Coordinator
- Tammy Haskett - Orientation
- Mandy Dockendorf - Recreation & Wellness
- Laura Ansley - PEAKS
- Arika Morison - Counseling
- Janae McKinney - Graduate Success Coordinator for Academic Initiatives
Cornerstones and Foundations… a sustainability model
- Commit to Continue