Dear Students, Faculty, Staff, and Families:
Welcome to the First Year Experience at Western Carolina University! With the transition into college life, we are eager to help students gain the most from academic and co-curricular experiences. Students will have many questions, want directions, and need guidance. Our goal is to provide the resources to empower a successful journey as we embark upon this exciting adventure together. We are here for all of you! You may view a presentation about FYE here.
What is the First Year Experience?
The First Year Experience is an 18 month window – from the time students are accepted to WCU until they become a sophomore. WCU has a tremendous wealth of resources and opportunities for students and we are eager to offer guidance to help students find what they need when they need it. Whether you need more information about living at WCU, or details about academics, or want to discover our co-curricular options, organizations, or how to become involved with the community.
- Our office is the portal for a selection of academic offerings designed specifically for first-year students. We encourage you to look closely at the options on the Student page, under ‘Academics.’
- We also collaborate with many divisions across campus to foster a holistic teaching and learning experience and environment. We recognize that learning does not stop at the classroom door - we aim to demonstrate the power of engaged learning partnerships.
- Our office works to provide information, resources, and support networks that encompass
- Faculty and Staff
Mission & Goals
The Office of First Year Experiences aims to foster opportunities that will empower students to not only succeed with their transition to college life, but to also discover a passion for learning as they become the co-creators of their collegiate experience. We will collaborate with the WCU community and with the regional community to enhance our students’ pride of place, civic responsibility, and sense of connectivity as they discover the intersections along their educational pathway. We aim to facilitate conversations and partnerships among faculty, staff, and students that engage productive conversations and challenge us to action with intentionality and purpose.
- Foster opportunities and environments for a successful and holistic college experience for our students.
- Facilitate collaboration and partnerships among faculty and staff that is inclusive of diverse perspectives.
- Focus students towards intentionality – in the classroom and beyond.
- Facilitate integrated and engaged initiatives aimed to enhance students’ ability to synthesize learning experiences.
Who we are
Our role is to offer guidance and support as students learn to navigate the wealth of resources and opportunities WCU has to offer. As students begin to chart their academic pathways, we will help them discover the interrelated nature of life and learning – that learning is entwined with co-curricular, social, and life events – that when they add intentionality to the mix, they will begin to clarify values and synthesize understandings – they will determine their future.
First Year Experience
137 KIllian Annex
Western Carolina University
Cullowhee, NC 28723
Phone: (828) 227-3017
Glenda Hensley, Director
Janina DeHart, Assistant Director of Academic Transition & Success
Phone: (828) 227-2786