2020 Vision: Focusing Our Future
WCU develops the resources and markets the vision to ensure achievement of its strategic priorities.
WCU’s continued emergence as an ambitious institution of higher education dedicated to the economic and community development of Western North Carolina depends on the development and cultivation of consistent and robust funding sources and an ongoing communications strategy designed to ensure that internal and external stakeholders are consistently informed about the University and its progress in achieving strategic goals.
GOAL 6.1: Facilitate a shared understanding of and commitment to the institution’s strategic vision among WCU faculty, staff and students.
Initiative 6.1.1: Create or modify existing orientation messages for new faculty, staff, and students to ensure early introduction to and understanding of the University’s strategic vision.
Initiative 6.1.2: Align all internal budgeting and annual reporting processes to reflect and reinforce the strategic vision and priorities of the University.
Initiative 6.1.3: Ensure consistency among vision messages from all internal sources.
GOAL 6.2: Facilitate a shared understanding of the institution’s strategic vision among the University’s external communities.
Initiative 6.2.1: Develop and implement comprehensive and consistent communications and marketing plans designed to fulfill the University’s strategic priorities. (See Initiatives 1.5.4, 2.3.4, and 3.1.5)
Initiative 6.2.2: Ensure the appropriate leadership and organizational structure necessary to develop and implement comprehensive communication and marketing plans designed to communicate Western Carolina University’s strategic vision effectively, concisely, and consistently to all external stakeholders.
Initiative 6.2.3: Create a network for regional engagement and statewide advocacy through a mobilized and informed alumni base.
Initiative 6.2.4: Develop a process to review periodically the University brand and tailor the marketing message accordingly.
GOAL 6.3: Maximize and target a balanced and diverse mix of financial resources that will enable achievement of Western Carolina University’s strategic vision.
Initiative 6.3.1: Develop and implement a comprehensive enrollment management process that maximizes state appropriations per the formula funding system in a manner consistent with the University’s strategic priorities related to access and success, including incremental increases in admission standards.
Initiative 6.3.2: Revisit the organizational structure of all campus offices and functions related to enrollment management to ensure lean, robust, and efficient operations. (See Goal 1.6)
Initiative 6.3.3: Explore innovative possibilities for revenue generation such as summer revenue opportunities, the initiation of certificate/executive programs, and cooperative education opportunities to reduce dependency on state funding and tuition and fee increases.
Initiative 6.3.4: Develop and implement a comprehensive plan to increase significantly WCU’s advocacy efforts among elected officials on behalf of University and system priorities.
Initiative 6.3.5: Develop and implement an advocacy plan for state/system action on three key market-based issues:
- tuition policy flexibility (in-state or surcharge) for students in bordering states
- differential tuition in high-demand/high-expense programs
- modification/elimination of differential treatment of distance education in the UNC formula funding system
Initiative 6.3.6: Pursue a comprehensive development campaign targeting (See Initiative 1.6.4):
- gifts at all levels in support of WCU’s strategic goals and initiatives
- particular philanthropic support for endowed merit- and need-based scholarships to enable WCU to recruit and retain the best academically qualified students and to support WCU’s commitments to student access and student success
- an increase in the participation and engagement of WCU alumni in University activities and in the number of alumni donors by 50 percent by 2020
- adequate development and alumni staffing to ensure the campaign’s success
Initiative 6.3.7: Develop infrastructure for research and sponsored programs, technology transfer, and commercialization consistent with strategic priorities to achieve the following by 2020:
- increase in the number of research grant and contract applications by 100 percent
- increase in the number of grants and contracts received by 50 percent
- increase in the total annual amount of awards received by 25 percent
Initiative 6.3.8: Pursue funding resources for development of the West Campus/Millennial Initiative.