Formerly Executive Memorandum 98-123
Initially approved February 1, 1977
Revised February 24, 1998
Revised and effective as an Interim Policy: August 11, 2014
Policy Topic: Governance & Administration
Administering Office: Office of Institutional Planning and Effectiveness
I. POLICY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Western Carolina University (the "University" or "WCU") to promote and facilitate the effective and efficient use of its property, facilities, furnishings, equipment, and information technology assets in furtherance of its mission. Space in facilities owned or controlled by the University will be allocated and used in furtherance of the interests of the entire University community, in accordance with this policy.
II. SCOPE AND APPLICATION OF POLICY
This policy applies to all property and facilities owned or controlled by the University wherever situated unless the property and facilities are exempt from this policy by agreement, policy or regulation.
"Academic Space" for purposes of this policy means any space primarily used for instruction, instructional support, research, and clinical activities.
"Allocation" for purposes of this policy means the designation of University space in accordance with Section VI of this policy.
"Assignment" for purposes of this policy means the sub-allocation of University space.
"Division" for purposes of this policy means any functional operating unit of the University (i.e., divisions, colleges, departments, programs, offices, and units).
"Executive Council" means the Chancellor's executive leadership group comprised of the Chancellor, Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, Chief of Staff, Chief Information Officer, Athletic Director, and General Counsel.
"Facility" means any building, structure or property that is owned or leased by the University or otherwise operated under its control.
"Facility Coordinators" are those individuals who have been officially designated by position as approved by the Executive Council and have the responsibilities set forth in Section VII of this policy. The Associate Vice Chancellor for Facilities shall assume the responsibilities set forth in Section VII for any Facility or Property that does not have a designated Facility Coordinator. The Chief of University Police shall assume the responsibilities set forth in Section VII for any parking Facilities that do not have a designated Facility Coordinator.
"Property" means any outdoor space, real property or land owned or leased by the University or otherwise maintained under its control.
"Senior Administrator" for purposes of this policy means any member of the Executive Council, any Associate or Assistant Vice Chancellor, or any member of the Council of Deans.
"Space" for purposes of this policy means all or any part of any University facility or property wherever located.
"Space Use Code" means a standardized space classification system that facilitates the University's management of its facilities.
IV. GENERAL PRINCIPLES
The Chancellor has ultimate responsibility and authority over the Allocation, reallocation,
Assignment, and use of Space in accordance with this policy. The Chancellor may delegate
all or any part of his/her responsibilities under this policy to the Executive Council.
Once Space has been allocated to a Division for a primary purpose and use, Space must continue to be available for broader purposes and uses that are in the best interests of the University.
University Space may be reallocated at any time irrespective of the length of time a Division has occupied and used that Space or the cost and extent of prior improvements to the Space paid out of the Division's budget.
V. SPACE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
A. Committee Responsibilities
The Space Management Committee ("SMC") is hereby established as a University standing committee that reports to the Chancellor. SMC shall have the authority and responsibility for the following functions:
1. Assist the Office of Institutional Planning and Effectiveness ("OIPE") in maintaining
an inventory of University Space needs;
2. Assist OIPE in maintaining and publishing an inventory of all University Space, which should include the applicable Space Use Code, the name and contact information of the Senior Administrator who has authority to make Assignments of allocated Space, and the name and contact information of the Facility Coordinator;
3. Review all Space Allocation and reallocation proposals, and make recommendations to the Chancellor based upon the current/proposed Space Use Code, Space needs, FTE production, utilization patterns, and the source of funds supporting the Space (i.e., fees or state appropriations);
4. Review Space utilization metrics against Space standards and scheduling standards and make recommendations to the appropriate official;
5. Review proposals for strategic renovation of Academic Space to improve utilization and make recommendations to the appropriate official, and consult as appropriate on other Space renovations;
6. Provide reports of reviews and recommendations to the Chancellor, Executive Council, and/or a Senior Administrator regarding any matter within SMC's areas of responsibility; and
7. Facilitate annual training for Facility Coordinators.
B. Composition of SMC
The SMC is comprised of the following University personnel:
1. The Assistant Vice Chancellor for Planning and Effectiveness, who shall serve as
2. The Registrar;
3. The Resource 25 system administrator;
4. The OIPE space analyst;
5. The Director of Facilities Planning, Design, and Construction;
6. The University Architect;
7. Two representatives from Academic Affairs appointed by the Provost;
8. Two representatives from Student Affairs appointed by the Vice Chancellor;
9. Two representatives from Information Technology appointed by the CIO;
10. A representative from Athletics appointed by the Athletic Director; and
11. A member of the Academic Space Advisory Board ("ASAB") who is not already serving on the SMC.
C. Academic Space Advisory Board
The ASAB is hereby established as a standing advisory board of the SMC. The members of the ASAB include: the Registrar; the OIPE space analyst; the Resource 25 system administrator; the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Planning and Effectiveness; and an associate dean from each college or school unless the dean designates a different representative. SMC may invite others to participate in the ASAB discussions and activities as appropriate.
Due to the unique character of Academic Space, upon request by SMC the ASAB will review initial Allocation and reallocation proposals and utilization concerns pertaining to Academic Space. The ASAB will report its findings and recommendations to the SMC for its consideration and action.
VI. ALLOCATION AND ASSIGNMENT OF SPACE
A. Space Allocation and Reallocation
All University Space is assigned a Space Use Code using University of North Carolina and nationally recognized categories. Space Use Code Assignments are reviewed annually. Any request for new Space or proposed change in Space Allocation, reallocation or use that impacts the Space Use Code must be submitted in writing to SMC for its review. Following its review, SMC shall submit its recommendations to the Chancellor for final approval.
B. Space Assignment
Once Space has been allocated to a Division, Assignments of discrete subunits within that Space, except general use classrooms, may be made by the Senior Administrator who is administratively responsible for the Space. Any Assignment or reassignment of Space must be consistent with approved Space Use Codes and must be reported to OIPE for inventory purposes.
C. Space Allocation and Reallocation Procedures
Implementing procedures and processes regarding the Allocation and reallocation of University Space shall be developed by the SMC upon consultation with the ASAB. Such procedures shall be reviewed and approved by Executive Council. Upon approval, these procedures will be posted at: http://www.wcu.edu/about-wcu/leadership/office-of-the-provost/oipe/space-planning/resource25-and-space-management-committee.asp
VII. FACILITY COORDINATORS
Facility Coordinators and their designee(s) shall have the following responsibilities for their designated Facilities:
1. Facility Coordinators or their designees shall ensure that classrooms in their
Facilities are unlocked by 7:50 a.m.;
2. Maintain a master key system for the Facility;
3. Identify the keys, cards and other secure access devices that are to be assigned to authorized users of Space in the Facility;
4. Assist SMC in the review of Space Allocation, reallocation, Assignment, and reassignment proposals within their Facility;
5. Assist OIPE in maintaining a current inventory of Space Allocations and Assignments within their Facility, including the names of occupants and the current space attributes;
6. Act as point of contact for routine and special communications pertaining to the Facility, including –
• Facility maintenance;
• Construction, services, and service outages;
• Energy management coordination; and
• Emergency planning and management;
7. Develop and maintain procedures to communicate with Facility users during and outside of normal business hours as may be necessary in the event of Facility specific events/circumstances. In circumstances involving broader University emergencies, communication must be coordinated with the University emergency alert system;
8. Act as point of contact for Facility specific discussions with University officials and external emergency personnel involved in drills, training, and emergency response activities;
9. Coordinate as necessary with the designated alternate Facility Coordinators who will act in the coordinator's absence;
10. Act as point of contact with the Office of Conference Services regarding scheduling conferences and events in the Facility; and
11. Serve as the Clery Act campus security authority for the Facility.
VIII. POLICY REVIEW
This policy shall be reviewed and revised as necessary every four (4) years.
IX. RELATED POLICIES AND RESOURCES
• University Policy #82, "Facilities Use and Public Art": http://www.wcu.edu/about-wcu/leadership/office-of-the-chancellor/university-policies/numerical-index/university-policy-82.asp
• Space Use Codes: http://www.wcu.edu/about-wcu/leadership/office-of-the-provost/oipe/
• Space Allocation Form (to be developed)