Formerly Executive Memorandum 85-73
Initially approved December 15, 1982
Revised September 15, 1985
Revised January 8, 2001
Administering Office: Human Resources
Western Carolina University's leave policy for governance of SPA employees is as follows:
1. "Vacation" leave is earned at a rate prescribed by the State Personnel Commission that is based on an employee's years of service.
2. "Vacation" leave may be taken in increments of six (6) minutes or more.
3. "Vacation" leave can be used to cover absences from work for personal reasons and tardiness. Employees may also use "vacation" leave for personal and family illness.
1. Full-time SPA employees earn one working day (8 hours) of "sick" leave per month and a total of ninety-six (96) hours per calendar year. Part-time employees who are .5 FTE or greater earn "sick" leave on a pro-rated basis.
2. University employees may request "sick" leave for illness in the immediate family as well as for personal illness. "Sick" leave may also be used, for a maximum of three days, in the event of a death in the immediate family.
3. Immediate family is defined as spouse, parents, children, brothers, sisters, grandparents, and grandchildren (including step-, half-, adoptive, and in-law relationships) and other dependents living in the household.
4."Sick" leave may be taken in increments of six (6) minutes or more.
Detailed information on leave policies for State employees is maintained in the University Office of Human Resources.