A special $1,000 cash award will be given each year to recognize outstanding service by a member of the university support staff. This award, whose winner will be recognized at the annual Spring Awards Convocation, was established to recognize non-exempt SPA employees for outstanding service.
All current non-exempt SPA employees who have five years of full-time service at WCU
as of December 31, 2012 are eligible. Those in doubt of an employee's eligibility may call the Office of Human Resources
at 227-7218 for assistance.
Previous recipients are not eligible for this award for a period of five years. The past five winners of this award are: Shirley Beck-2012, Jenny Owen-2011, Rosie Greenwood-2010, Cindi Magill-2009, and Mark Haskett-2008.
- The recipient of the award will receive $1,000 and a plaque commemorating his or her selection.
- Any current WCU employee may make one nomination per year. Each nominator must complete an individual nomination form for the current year.
- Group endorsements and petitions will not be accepted. Campus-wide letter campaigns to solicit nominations in support of any employee are not permitted. Incomplete nominations will not be accepted by the committee.
- Persons nominated for the award may not participate in the selection of the award winner.
- Dependability, cooperative spirit, loyalty to the University, and effectiveness in performing assigned duties are qualities that will be important in the selection. However, specific examples of how the employee has “gone beyond the call of duty” or “gone the extra mile” will be helpful to the committee in selecting the individual that is truly Western’s “Outstanding” Support Staff Winner.
- Nominations may be submitted on-line at: http://www.wcu.edu/25448.asp and may not exceed a total of two pages in length. Each nomination must be accompanied by a minimum of two paragraphs supporting the nomination. The date and nominator’s signature must be included. Incomplete nominations will not be accepted by the committee. Nominations not submitted on-line may be sent to the Office of the Chancellor, 501 HFR Administration Building, Campus Mail.
Deadline for nominations is 12:00 noon, March 7, 2013.
- The selection committee will be composed of: one employee from each division (Academic Affairs, Administration and Finance, the Chancellor’s Division, and Student Affairs), the previous chair of the committee, and previous recipients. Appointments to the committee will be made by the Chancellor / Chancellor’s designee.