Criteria for the Bright Idea Staff Award
A special $1,000 cash award will be given each year to recognize one SPA or EPA non-faculty employee who has suggested an idea, procedure or program that, when implemented, resulted in improved operations. Recipients must be permanent employees who not only submitted an idea that improved cost-effectiveness, safety or convenience; promoted sustainability; and/or solved a problem on campus, but also supported the implementation of the idea in a manner consistent with department procedures and a spirit of promoting collaboration among students, faculty, staff and community members.
- All current SPA and EPA non-faculty employees who are permanent, full-time at WCU as of December 31st of the prior year are eligible. Those in doubt of an employee's eligibility may call the Office of Human Resources at 227-7218 for assistance.
- Previous recipients will not be eligible for this award for a period of five years. (2013 - Steven Allen Leamon: 2009-- Lauren Bishop)
- The recipient of the award will receive $1,000 and a plaque commemorating his or her selection. This award will be announced during the Spring Awards Convocation.
- Any current WCU faculty, staff or student may make one nomination per year. Each nominator must complete an individual nomination form for the current year.
- Group endorsements and petitions will not be accepted. Campus-wide letter campaigns to solicit nominations in support of any employee are not permitted.
- Persons nominated for the award may not participate in the selection of the award winner.
- Nominations should be submitted through the integrated awards process. However, a
hard copy nomination form is available at: Each nomination must include a minimum
of two paragraphs supporting the nomination and include the nominator's name and title.
Incomplete nominations will not be accepted by the committee. Any additional information or hard copy nomination may be submitted through campus
mail to: Judy H. Dowell Outstanding Support Staff Award Committee, Office of the
Chancellor, 501 HFR Administration Building.
Deadline for nominations is Tuesday, February 4, 2014
- The selection committee will be composed of: one SPA or EPA non-faculty employee from each division (Academic Affairs, Administration and Finance, the Chancellor's Division, and Student Affairs), the previous chair of the committee, and a previous recipient. Appointments to the committee will be made by the Chancellor / Chancellor's designee. Appointments in the following job classifications are encouraged: Executive/Administrative, Professional, Technical, Clerical/Secretarial, Craftsmen and Maintenance/Service. Each committee member, with the exception of the previous year's recipients, will serve for a period of two years.