5 Griffing Blvd.
Asheville, NC 28804
Attorney, Van Winkle, Buck, Wall, Starnes and Davis, P.A.
Appointed by Board of Governors
July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2015
July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2019
The University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, N.C.
Juris Doctor degree, May 1999
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tenn.
B.S. in Education, 1974
Van Winkle, Buck, Wall, Starnes and Davis, P.A.
Asheville, N.C., 1999 – Present
Member of the Executive Committee
REGULATORY HEALTH CARE AND EMPLOYMENT ATTORNEY
- Assisting health care clients with Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement issues, developing corporate compliance programs, including the implementation of HIPAA Privacy and Security regulations, addressing fraud and abuse issues, and structuring business ventures among physicians and between health care systems and physicians. Assisting employers with issues related to employment discrimination, ADA, FMLA and Wage and Hour laws and regulations.
Leave of Absence to work for Surgical Outcome Solutions, Inc.
Asheville, N.C. January – June 2000
- Oversaw compliance, privacy and security issues for start-up medical software development company which designed software to perform coding, billing and other functions in orthopaedic surgeons’ offices.
During Law School, 1996 - 1999
Professor Gail Agrawal, Health Law Professor, University of North Carolina School of Law, August 1998 – May 1999
Judge Wallace W. Dixon, United States District Court, January 1999 – May 1999
Judge Edward K. Greene, North Carolina Court of Appeals, August 1997 – May 1998
Justice (then Judge) Mark D. Martin, North Carolina Court of Appeals, January – April 1997
- January – August 1996. Worked in the campaign office of Congressman Charles Taylor. Primarily engaged in fundraising.
GENERAL MANAGER, Woodstone Galleries, a division of Zickgraf Enterprises, Inc.
December, 1994 – December, 1995.
- Responsible for developing and managing a new retail business with locations in Franklin and Cashiers, N.C.; sales projected at $5 million annually. Duties included overseeing interior construction at both locations; hiring, training and supervising employees for sales and support positions, including computer processors, installers and warehouse, personnel; purchasing, marketing and advertising; overseeing productivity and development of company standards.
Interior Design Center, Inc.
PRESIDENT, majority stockholder of The Interior Design Center, Inc. in Robbinsville, N.C.,
1974-1984; Sylva, N.C. 1981-1992; Franklin, N.C., 1982-1987; Cashiers, N.C. 1988-1994.
- Established and managed a successful home-furnishing business. Served as principal salesperson and supervised a staff of office personnel, design and workroom employees and installers. Business sold to Zickgraf Enterprises, Inc. December 1994.
SELECTED COMMUNITY SERVICE:
Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce
- Board of Directors, 2010 - present
Buncombe County Medical Society Foundation
- Board of Directors, 2010 – present
Buncombe County Medical Society
- Member of the Development Council, 2010 - present
Pisgah Legal Services, Asheville, NC
- Member of the Development Council, 2011
Howell Foundation (Educational Scholarships)
- Chairman, 2005 – present
- Board of Directors, 2008 – present
28th Judicial District Bar, 1999-present
American Health Lawyers Association, 2000-present
North Carolina Bar Association, 1999-present
North Carolina State Bar, 1999-present
“Physician Compensation” (NC Association of Certified Public Accountants’ 2011 Healthcare Industry Conference)
“Impact of Health Care Reform” (University of North Carolina Festival of Legal Learning, 2006 – 2011)
“Disclosure of Minors’ and Adults’ PHI” (Mountain Area Health Education Center, 2010)
“Employment Law Update” (Crescent Preferred Provider Organization, Inc. 2010)
“The Stark Reality” (Dixon Hughes, 2010)
“Patient Care Issues” (Mountain Area Health Education Center, 2002 – 2010)
Confidentiality of Medical Records in North Carolina” (Lorman Educational Services, 2002 2010)
“Red Flags, HITECH, and RAC Audits” (Mountain Area Health Education Center, 2009)
“Successfully Defending Medicare Audits” (Dixon Hughes - Physician Conference, 2008)
“Developing Partnerships with Hospitals” (Buncombe County Medical Society, 2008)
Married to Orville D. Coward, Jr. Esq.; 2 children