Miscellaneous Scholarship Info

NORTH CAROLINA LEGISLATIVE TUITION GRANT - must attend a N.C. private college/university and be a citizen of N.C. for at least one year; amount - $1800 ($900 each semester); (student receives NCLTG when he/she enrolls at a private N.C. college/university).

FRESHMAN SCHOLARS PROGRAM - must plan to attend one of these six universities in N.C.: Elizabeth City State; Fayetteville State; N.C. A & T; N.C. Central, UNC-Pembroke or Winston-Salem State; amount - covers tuition, fees and books for the freshman year only and is non-renewable; no deadlines - contact financial aid office of the university you plan to attend.

INCENTIVE SCHOLARSHIP AND GRANT PROGRAM FOR NATIVE AMERICAN INDIANS - must be a Native American, admitted to one of the 16 UNC universities and have financial need; amount varies.  Must complete the FAFSA.

NATIVE AMERICAN HIGHER EDUCATION GRANT PROGRAM - must be an American Indian who is a member of a tribal group; amount - varies; June 1 deadline; contact Director of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indian Education and Training Department, P.O. Box 455, Cherokee, NC 28719 or call 828-497-7485.

UNC Diversity Fund – Amount varies according to financial need and the institution where you are applying.  No separate application needed.

VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION PROGRAM SCHOLARSHIP - must have a learning, mental or physical disability which is a handicap to employment; amount-covers the cost of tuition, fees and some books and supplies; no deadline but must contact Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor. (For more details, visit website www.dhhs.state.nc.us.)

NORTH CAROLINA 4-H DEVELOPMENT FUND SCHOLARSHIP - must have an outstanding record of 4-H participation and achievement; contact your local 4-H Agent for details on this and other 4-H scholarships available; amount-varies from $500 to $2500.  4-H Youth Development Department at 919-515-2801 for deadlines and applications.

SCHOLARSHIPS AND RESOURCES FOR STUDENTS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS - various federal, state and private scholarships/resources are available to assist students with special needs, including physically challenged and learning disabled students; contact web site www.ncseaa.edu for specific scholarship information for Students with Special Needs.

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF VETERAN AFFAIRS EDUCATION ASSISTANCE BENEFITS - must be children of veterans who died or are permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service related disability while in active service in the Armed Forces as well as children of service persons missing in action or captured in the line of duty by a hostile force; contact web site www.gibill.va.gov or www.vba.va.gov for more information; amount- varies; deadline ASAP.

NORTH CAROLINA VETERANS SCHOLARSHIP - must be children of certain deceased or disabled veterans or of veterans who were listed as POW/MIA; (veterans must have been a legal resident of N.C. at time of entry into service, or child must have been born in N.C. and resided there continuously); amount — varies up to free tuition, room and board fees at state-supported institution or limited fees up to $4500 at private institutions; for additional information, contact your local office or the N.C. Division of Veterans Affairs. (325 N. Salisbury Street, Raleigh, NC 27603) at 919-733-3851.

FEDERAL FINANCIAL AID PELL GRANT PROGRAM - must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) www.fafsa.ed.gov : amount - varies from $400 to $4300; the completed form can not be submitted online or by mail until after January 1st.


Copyright by Western Carolina University      •      Cullowhee, NC 28723      •      828.227.7211      •      Contact WCU
Maintained by the Office of Web Services      •      Directions      •      Campus Map      •      Emergency Information      •      Text-Only

Office of Web Services