The Physical Plant provides extensive electrical service to the university and to the surrounding community.
For the campus, the Physical Plant maintains and repairs all installed electric service for both internal and external building power and all building power supplies.
Some of the regular non-billable electrical maintenance services performed are:
- Maintain the campus high-voltage distribution system
- Maintain the primary electrical system
- Replace breakers in academic buildings
Billable electrical services provided include:
- New installations such as outlets and electrical fixtures
- Support of campus special events to include power supply, flood lights, public address systems and standby electricians
- Replace power distribution auxiliaries (i.e. transformers, service entry sections)
- Repair electrical problems of departmentally owned electrical equipment (i.e., ovens, garbage disposals, sterilizers, centrifuges, etc.)
For routine service please complete an online work order request. In case of emergency, please call 227-7224; this number is answered 24 hours a day.
For the community, the Physical Plant operates an electric company regulated by the North Carolina Utilities Commission. The Resale Electric Department function as does any public electric utility such as CP&L and Duke Power Company. The exception is that revenue beyond that required for efficient operation of the Resale Electric Department is earmarked for university scholarships. For further information or service contact the university Controller's Office, 227-7285.